Re: Debian Games Team Policy

On Mon, 16 May 2011 at 13:50:00 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> In recent times I've thought about expanding it into a more general games
> policy and covering the Quake family, etc.

One important oddity of the Doom family is that FreeDoom seems to be intended
to be used as a drop-in replacement for the "real" Doom data, whereas OpenArena
and other standalone ioquake3-based games are more like separate similar games
that happen to share an engine with Quake III Arena - none of them contain
a baseq3 directory, for instance, and with recent ioquake3 they set
com_basegame differently.

This means the use of diversions may well be appropriate for Doom, but isn't
appropriate for ioquake3.

Doom also has a need for an unusually complex policy because there are several
competing, interoperable engines, whereas ioquake3 has a few mini-forks for
particular games (OpenArena, Urban Terror, etc.) but is the de facto upstream,
with no real active competitors.

I'm not sure what category the other Quake engines fall into - but to be honest
if we had the Quake 1 and 2 engines packaged, I'd be inclined to just put them
in contrib and give them a hard dependency on the non-distributable ID data,
since I haven't heard of any game content for either Quake 1 or 2 that's
as complete as the likes of OpenArena, Urban Terror or World of Padman.

(Which reminds me, I should try packaging WoP for non-free one day.)