Re: game-data-packager with experimental quake support

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 at 22:54:14 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> New packages/virtual packages:
>
>   "quake-data" is provided by the binaries created for
>   shareware data (package name quake-shareware) or full
>   game data (quake-registered, not sure I'm happy with
>   this name).  The latter Replaces: the former, and both
>   Provides: quake-data.

I'd have expected quake-data to be the real package name rather than a virtual
package, but perhaps I've been spoiled by how generic ioquake3 is/can be
made to be. Maybe go with id Software's retroactive renaming of their old
engines and call the virtual package "idtech1-data"? :-)

AIUI Quake 1 was available as shareware like Doom, but I'm more familiar with
it as a retail game, so I'd suggest quake-data or quake-data-full or quake-full
or something, rather than the shareware-specific term "registered".

> Any eventual package of openquartz or similar should
> Provides: quake-data too.

I'd personally tend to call OQ a distinct game and give it its own launcher
script? The justification for our packaging style for Q3/OA is that users
don't want to play "an ioquake3-based game", they want to play Q3 or OA; so
the end-user-visible packages (with desktop files, menu entries and things in
$PATH) are for the Q3 and OA game content, and they happen to share an engine
behind the scenes.

I'd be tempted to do the same for shareware/demo versions, in fact; they're
clearly not the same thing as (or network-compatible with) the whole game.