Re: Include 0AD, a new fancy 3D RTS

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Philip Taylor <excors@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On a related note: We're probably going to add the NVIDIA Texture Tools
>> (http://code.google.com/p/nvidia-texture-tools/) as a dependency in the next
>> week or so. But I don't think we need any special versions or patches, so a
>> normal package should work and hopefully it won't be a problem. (Since most
>> (all?) distros don't have packages for it yet, I'd still like to bundle it
>> by default, so people won't have to waste time downloading and installing it
>> themselves; but I'll add a flag to use the non-bundled library, for people
>> who have a packaged version.)
>
> Please don't bundle it in your source tarball. Instead, make a
> separate tarball for dependencies and get folks to download that.
>
> In addition, it sounds like you want to make 0AD only work on nVidia
> cards with non-free drivers since this texture tools thing seems to
> rely on CUDA?

  As far as I can tell, they should work without hardware
acceleration; from upstream

DXT compression is based on Simon Brown's squish library. The library
also contains an alternative GPU-accelerated compressor that uses CUDA
and is one order of magnitude faster.

  I've been thinking about packaging that (not that I have the time to
do it, unfortunately), but a decent package that uses CUDA when
available (relying on a non-free plugin) while being itself in main
will be loads of fun to do.

  Cheers,

      Vincent