Re: Packaging ioQuake3 instead of the OpenArena engine

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 at 01:30:49 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 at 18:35:41 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 at 11:45:30 +0200, Bruno Kleinert wrote:
> > > The version of ioQuake3 I'm using is 1.36, which is the latest release.
[...]
> I'd be interested in helping with it if I have time, and many of the OpenArena
> changes (including the ones I made recently towards making openarena-data
> DFSG-free) would probably be applicable.

So I heard you liked game engines:
    http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-games/ioquake3.git;a=summary

I ended up going with a svn snapshot rather than a release, to give me a bit
more chance of getting the patches upstream.

To use:

- build and install that package (it needs a bit more testing/polishing before
  hitting NEW)
- install openarena >= 0.8.5 from unstable
- run /usr/share/doc/ioquake3/examples/openarena - that's ioquake3 playing
  OpenArena (i.e. what openarena should be like in squeeze+1)
- if you have quake3-data, run /usr/share/doc/ioquake3/examples/quake3 -
  that's the exact same binary playing Quake III: Arena :-)

ioquake3-server contains corresponding example scripts for the dedicated
server. (I'll probably take the quake3, q3ded scripts out before uploading,
to avoid accusations of this package secretly being contrib.)

I've backed out a lot of Fuddl's patch set, since many of them can be
replicated with suitable cvars or make variables.

Next steps for Quake 3, in no particular order:

- harvest any remaining OpenArena changes that make sense (I have a WIP
  branch to tidy up the OA patch that loads .ogg when .wav was requested)
- try to get some of our patches upstream
- get it through NEW
- get an openarena version that uses this (rather than shipping its own engine)
  into experimental
- use the system libjpeg in Tremulous (which probably won't run under this
  engine, but you never know)
- make game-data-packager produce quake3-data
- get quake3 (contrib, just a wrapper script, requires quake3-data) through NEW
- try running World of Padman with this engine
- try running Urban Terror with this engine