Re: Packaging ioQuake3 instead of the OpenArena engine

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 at 18:35:41 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 at 11:45:30 +0200, Bruno Kleinert wrote:
> > The version of ioQuake3 I'm using is 1.36, which is the latest release.

Is any progress on this available on git.debian.org? If not, could you put
up some sort of repository?

I'd be interested in helping with it if I have time, and many of the OpenArena
changes (including the ones I made recently towards making openarena-data
DFSG-free) would probably be applicable.

> > From the sources I stripped the non-DFSG compliant LCC to get rid of the
> > policy violation and the binary-without-source issue.
>
> (Please leave q3asm in and only strip out lcc; q3asm seems to have been
> written and GPL'd by ID, and we might want it at some point.)

I've prepared most of a q3lcc package for non-free (see alioth git), but
I'm not sure that it's distributable in binary form. Most of it is under a
license that's unclear but probably OK, but one file (the Quake 3 bytecode
interpreter output) was almost certainly written by ID, and the only
permission they've given us to distribute it (as far as I know) is the blanket
GPL permission for Quake 3. This doesn't allow us to link it to the non-GPL'd
rest of the compiler :-(

    Simon