Problems with love

Hi,

We currently have Löve 0.5.0 [1] in Debian (a 2D game development
framework based in lua), which provides 3 binary packages (love,
love-dbg and love-doc). They have already released 0.6.0, which is not
backwards compatible but include a lot of nice stuff. I wanted to move
on from 0.5 to 0.6, but I know of people using Debian and/or Ubuntu
who are using 0.5 in multimedia systems in production, so I cannot
really do that (our priorities are users and all that stuff). I'm
thinking about supporting 2 different versions of love at once, that
would mean moving from {love: love, love-dbg and love-doc} to
{love0.5: love0.5, love0.5-dbg} and {love0.6: love0.6, love0.6-dbg}. I
already have working packages in SVN [2] [3], which use alternatives
to select which love is run by default. I also have working packages
in my Ubuntu PPA [4] [5].

I'm not really sure about how to make that transition, maybe adding
love0.5 and love0.6 to the archive and replacing love by a void
package depending on them (love0.6 | love0.5), but that might be
overdoing it. Another possibility is to keep the name love for 0.5 as
it is now and adding 0.6, but it can be confusing.

I don't really think that many people depend on this, and we don't
have packages in the archive that depend on it AFAIK, so whatever I do
it won't be a big mess or something. Does anyone know which would be
the best way to handle this?

Greetings and thanks,
Miry

[1] http://packages.debian.org/src:love
[2] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-games/packages/branches/love/0.5.0/
[3] svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-games/packages/branches/love/0.6.0/
[4] https://launchpad.net/~miry/+archive/ppa
[5] http://ppa.launchpad.net/miry/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/l/