Sorting out the Quake2 situation

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting Quake 2 packaged.  I'm willing to work on this
myself, however before I start doing that I'd like to gather any
information and experiences that you Debian Games people have on the
situation.

My approach would be to take the latest R1Q2 revision and patch it up to
compile under Debian i386 and amd64 (for starters) and to have ALSA
sound.  Then I'd look into how to add quake2 support to game-data-
packager.

Which parts would you do differently?  What are the particular challenges
that I don't know about?  Generally, what are the reasons nobody has
packaged it already, assuming it's not laziness?  (Which would be
perfectly fine; I'm not here to assign blame, but want to understand the
situation.)  And finally: who would be willing to help me with this
endeavor?

TIA and let's try to crack this nut! :-)

-Julian