Need help packaging OpenTibia Server

Hello!

I'm sending this to debian-devel-games since this is a game-related server.

You may remember me from about a year or so when I asked for help with
packaging Yet Another Tibia Client, a GPL implementation of a client
for 2D MMORPG Tibia. That packaging works for quite some time now, and
I'm happy with it, however distribution in Debian makes no sense or is
simply impossible because of dependence on non-free resource files.
Not to mention our client is unfinished. So, as things stand, I won't
try pushing YATC into Debian.

However, the whole thing didn't start with the client; in fact we
implemented it because we wanted to supplement OpenTibia Server.
OpenTibia Server is a Tibia server with a long history, way back in
2001, I believe. Comparison of numbers of active players of Tibia
(www.tibia.com) and combined OpenTibia Server (www.otservlist.org)
reveal that otserv has amazingly managed to reach the levels of the
game it tries to emulate.

OpenTibia Server does not contain and does not depend on proprietary
files. It is fully GPLed, and in the last two days I've fixed our
autotools build system so that "make dist" and "make install" work as
it should (previously the sole purpose of the autotools in otserv was
production of the binary executable). Also, "make install" should now
be placing things into proper directories: executable ends up in (by
default) /usr/local/sbin, data files end up in
/usr/local/share/otserv, and configuration ends up in
/usr/local/etc/otserv/config.lua.

What remains is installation of SQLite database, or alternatively
configuration of MySQL/PGSQL. That's one of the things I'm inclined to
leave to the packaging instead of incorporating directly into the
upstream.

Ok, so what I actually want?

Although I basically understand the underlying process of building
packaging for a GUI application or game, this is a new field.

How to properly get /etc/init.d/ script?
How to turn our server which runs in foreground in console into a daemon?
How to properly write a script which would create (and upon
uninstallation remove) the user 'otserv' under which privileges the
server should run?

Explanations, examples and readiness to answer a gazillion questions
would be appreciated :)

PS I don't think it makes much sense to announce ITP until I know more
about the subject :)

Ivan Vučica

OBJECT Networks :: www.objectnetworks.net
Cateia Games :: www.cateia.com