Re: git vs. svn (again)

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:12:53 +0200 Christoph Egger wrote:
> Paul Wise schrieb:
> > While I love git for development (and have switched every upstream
> > project I could to it), I prefer subversion for Debian packaging at
> > this time. I also feel keeping SVN makes it easier to join the team
> > for people with no initial technical skills.
>
> Hi all!
>
> 	I'm not sure it is true. I totally agree git is adding unneeded
> complexity (multiple remotes to follow e.g.) and has some features that
> might be handy but add complexity (local commits). However Git gives you
> a perfectly dpkg-buildpackage buildable checkout while svn doesn't and
> works around some mayour pitfalls (things I still get caught like rm and
> mv should *never* be done but "svn rm" or "svn mv").

fyi, git-svn provides a git interface to svn repositories. hence,
you can just encourage git fans to make use of that.  i wrote up a
brief intro about this for the the secure-testing team recently [0].
that doc may also be useful for the games team.

mike

[0] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/secure-testing/doc/narrative_introduction