Introduction email

Hi all,
I've recently (well... not recently as I send this. It was recent when
I started to compose this message though) joined the games team on
Alioth and Launchpad. It was suggested I write an intro email, so here
is my attempt at it. What inspired me to finally hit send was seeing
Miguel's email come through, and realising I'm a bit behind the 8ball :)

Hello all.

Brief intro:
I'm a Debian user (and on occasion a Debian derivative user) who is
interested in helping keep Debian ticking
When it comes to games I'm largely interested in Freeciv and the
bsdgames, but have played wesnoth and various others.

General stuff:
I'm hoping to one day become a DD, but have hung around Debian and its
lists long enough that I don't want to rush into it[1]. I'm hoping for
a progression along the lines of -
 help with this team
 help with other packages
 begin NM process (late this year)
 "finish" NM process (when it happens)
 go for my DD status (optional :))

I have contributed to Debian derivatives, but never got more involved
in Debian then filing bugs. I'd like that to change :)

I've spent quite a while reading about the Games Team, its policies,
its VCS page[2], QA reports, out of date packages, the Debian Mentors
pages, packaging guidelines, and sponsors requirements. I've briefly
touched on other key manuals like Debian policy. I plan to start
reading Debian Policy (and related documents) in full during August.

When I finally get a handle on Git I might even make a useful
contribution - at the moment its still completely beyond me (That said,
thanks to whoever linked the cheat sheet on the wiki, its helping).

Bit of a ramble, but hopefully a help.

[1] From the outside, the Pain:Gain ratio doesnt seem to be 'better' as
you move from D.User to DM to DD.
[2] I'm still totally lost when it comes to git. Perhaps one day I'll
understand it ....
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)