Re: RFS for gmameui (front-end for the arcade games emulator MAME)

Loïc Martin wrote:
Hi,

The newest upstream tarball for GMAMEUI, a Gnome front-end for MAME, has remplaced code with problematic licenses, and I'd like to request a sponsor to get it in Debian, and plan to maintain it within the team. It's a contrib package since MAME is in non-free (it can be used without MAME to audit roms, but that's probably not the main purpose). Free (as in beer) roms for testing can be found at http://mamedev.org/roms/ (and some game companies sites too).

I'm not sure if I should also send a RFS to debian-mentors (the ITP was send to debian-devel and got some feedback already), since I'm not sure how it'd work for maintaining it in DGT if the sponsor isn't.

I planned to maintain the package in git on Alioth, and it worked for 0.2.8 and 0.2.8, but failed when importing 0.2.10. After many days of unsuccessful troubleshooting, and a thread in the mailing list, I thought it would probably be better to go the mentors.debian.net route for the moment.

Here's some more information on the package:

* Package name    : gmameui
  Version         : 0.2.10-1
  Upstream Author : Andrew Burton <adb@iinet.net.au>
* URL             : http://gmameui.sourceforge.net/
* License         : GPL-3+
  Section         : contrib/games

It builds these binary packages:
gmameui    - front-end for the arcade games emulator MAME

The package appears to be lintian clean (lintian -iI and lintian --pedantic, not sure if there's stricter options).

- Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/contrib/g/gmameui/gmameui_0.2.10-1.dsc

Kind regards
 Loïc Martin

Loic,

There are a few minor issues with gmameui.  Would you mind fixing them?

W: gmameui: extra-license-file usr/share/doc/gmameui/COPYING.gz
W: gmameui: zero-byte-file-in-doc-directory usr/share/doc/gmameui/README
W: gmameui: zero-byte-file-in-doc-directory usr/share/doc/gmameui/TODO
I: gmameui: desktop-entry-contains-encoding-key /usr/share/applications/gmameui.desktop:2 Encoding W: gmameui: menu-item-creates-new-section Applications/Games /usr/share/menu/gmameui:7

Definetely the menu section needs to be fixed because you set the Standards Version to 3.8.2.

Thanks,

Barry deFreese
Debian Games Team