Problems cloning a git repository

Hi,
I'ce created a git repository on Alioth a while ago, and I messed up my local git repository last week when importing a new upstream tarball (it worked before, I don't really understand what happened, but I was really tired at the time so that might explain it). Since then, I've been trying without success to pull a cloned repository from Alioth, and have it be the exact same copy of what I worked with before the mess up.

I've been following http://wiki.debian.org/Games/VCS#Cloningandpulling but it doesn't seem to work as advertised.
> git clone git+ssh://<username>@git.debian.org/git/pkg-games/<package>.git
works, but it only pulls master (there should also be prisine-tar and upstream), and without pulling previous commits in the log for master.

The second step plain doesn't work
git-pull origin +refs/remotes/*:refs/remotes/*
First, it seem it should be git pull and not git-pull, but I can't verify that, only that there's a pull option for git while I can't find the git-pull command in any package.
Second, even using "git pull", I get this error:
You asked me to pull without telling me which branch you
want to merge with, and 'branch.master.merge' in
your configuration file does not tell me either.  Please
name which branch you want to merge on the command line and
try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
See git-pull(1) for details on the refspec.

I don't have any branches however (.git/branches has always been empty for my package) so I don't know how to solve that.

I also have a question about adding a new upstream release (http://wiki.debian.org/Games/VCS#Addinganewupstreamrelease).

git-import-orig [--pristine-tar] [-u version] /path/to/upstream-version.tar.gz

Does this also commit the changes to Altioth, or do I have to do a git commit -a afterwards? The wiki seem to imply it's not necessary, and I don't remember having any trouble previously, but when I try to import a new upstream tarball in my badly cloned git repository, it doesn't and I'd probably have to use git commit -a (except the wiki doesn't say so, and I'd rather make sure before messing up the repository on Alioth).

Also, new upstream tarball has less files than the previous one, and "git commit -a" implies I have to mark the deleted files to be included in the commit - which leads me to think I'm making a mistake somewhere, because it's probably automatic when uploading a new upstream tarball.

Loïc