Re: Warzone videos and the GPL

On Sunday, 14 June 2009 at  8:50, Paul Wise wrote:
> Is there really no free software support for decoding the RPL files?
> ffmpeg gives me this decoder in ffmpeg -formats:
>
>   D  rpl             RPL/ARMovie format

Hm, ffmpeg has an RPL demuxer, didn't know that (I think it hadn't the last
time I looked, but maybe I just tried mplayer which still doesn't play the
files). But no decoder for the codec, I just get sound and a black window.

> I wonder if lossless Dirac would be the best form for modification?
> This would probably make them highly compressed but still lossless, but
> would require lots of CPU for decoding. Alternatively ffmpeg's Snow
> codec might work but IIRC the codec format is not finalised.

Some lossless codec might work. But the source material is 320x240, pixellated
with artifacts from the original codec. Since codecs aren't usually optimized
for such material, the gain in (archive) size might not be that great compared
to the 7z-archive (on-disk size is another matter).

> Yeah, I agree about the ugliness, but part of that is simply the
> originals are low quality.

The ~160 MB OGGs' ugliness is ugly compared to the originals' ugliness. As I
wrote, without much visible difference in quality (fullscreen on a 21" display,
not in a 320x240 pixel window) Theora needs ~460 MB.

> BTW, if you could add a working Makefile to the source tarball or just
> in the directory where the "source code" is stored, that would be nice.

A makefile for one run was a bit overkill, I just used a bash loop (for i in
*avi cam?/*avi; do ffmpeg [options] $i; done).

cybersphinx

PS: I'm not subscribed to these lists, please keep me CCed.