Re: Ubuntu Gaming Team

2009/5/1 Emmet Hikory <emmet.hikory@gmail.com>:
> Team,
>    There's been some discussion (and confusion) in Ubuntu about the
> creation of the "Ubuntu Gaming Team".  This team is an outgrowth of the
> Ubuntu Marketing Team, and is mostly focused on promotion and
> documentation of games.  As discussions continued (1), Philip raised
> some interesting points about the weaknesses of the current team in
> tracking bugs in Ubuntu:

Hi!

First of all, I'm really glad to see more people willing to dedicate
time and effort on developing the gaming experience in the FOSS world,
so whatever is done to improve it is obviously welcome, it should be
positive for everybody.

After reading the thread I'm not exactly sure I fully understand the
proposal. It somehow seems about bug triaging, as you mention, but
there are other comments that seem to indicate that the project has
more wide plans:

> This team already has one or more members who are active FOSS game
> engine/graphic developers, so code development is not out of the
> question.

If something is planned in this direction, maybe it would be nice, not
only include Debian and Ubuntu, but maybe we might want to escalate it
to the Freedesktop games list, and be inclusive with members of other
Free distributions.

I think it would be nice if the people organizing this new Ubuntu
Gaming Team would coordinate with us so we don't end up doing
duplicate work by dividing the efforts in different teams. Maybe they
might also want to count on us to develop their proposal. It would be
great to know what problems they're going after to solve, and the
solutions planned, so we can integrate all of that into our natural
workflow.

> This is similar to how X Swat works and I feel would be a good way for
> those 'volunteers' interested in helping with game bugs in Ubuntu to get
> exactly what they want and nothing else for triage or fixing. How this
> interacts with Debian is a further discussion but may increase the speed
> of bugs reports over to Debian and possibly fixes. It may also encourage
> people to develop directly as part of the joint Debian/Ubuntu
> development team.

I'm not really familiar with what X Swat is or does, so I'm assuming
that it follows a similar workflow than is described in the mail
you're quoting. Some clarifying on that team might be quite positive
for us, so we can understand a bit more what we're talking about. For
what I've undestood, it's a bug mailing list to where bugs are sent or
forwarded and in which some manual or automatic filters will act on
the bugs to provide some reference on what bugs should newer
developers look at?

I really think that if the interaction between us and that team is
thought from the beginning, it will be benefitial for both. If it is a
good idea, I wonder why we couldn't just implement it somehow inside
our Team and have to create a newer that, but it's OK for me if they
feel that the Debian/Ubuntu Games Team does not exactly suit their
needs.

I cannot comment deeper on the Ubuntu Gaming proposal as I'm not
really sure of what the plans are. I'll be waiting for more
information about it to see how we can work together coordinatedly
towards a common goal.

> a) Setting pkg-games-devel@l.a.d.o as the contact for the team

> b) Setting the team as a bug contact for all the packages maintained by
> the team.

I personally agree. In any case, as Gerfried Fuchs said, maybe some
people would prefer to have separate lists though, that should be OK
too. I don't really think in terms of coordinating Debian and Ubuntu
game developers, but I consider the Debian/Ubuntu Games Team to be
part of both Debian and Ubuntu, and want to support both as good as
possible, so whatever is done in that direction would be OK for me. I
personally consider us to belong to Debian and Ubuntu at the same
time.

Finally, I'd invite whatever members are in that new Ubuntu Gaming
Team to also join the Debian/Ubuntu Games Team if they see it right.
That way we should be able to learn from their ideas and what they
feel we could be doing better, and also they can benefit from our
experience.

Greetings,
Miry