Re: How about playing a game while installing Debian?

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:54:24AM +0000, Sam Morris wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:51:09 +0200, Evgeni Golov wrote:

>> So now I'd like to ask you, what you think about the idea to add some
>> (small) games, so users can relax while D-I is fetching packages etc.

> I thought it was a great idea, but ISTR reading somewhere that the idea
> was patented. Unfortunately I have not found a reference after some quick
> Googling, so perhaps it is not the case. :)

This is thread necromancy, I know, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_screen#Minigames

Namco owns the US Patent for the use of minigames during loading
screens,[3] and have included variations of their old arcade games
(Galaxian or Rally-X for example) as loading screens when first booting
up many of their early PlayStation releases. Even to this day, their
PlayStation 2 games, like Tekken 5, still use the games to keep people
busy while the game initially boots up.

[3] http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5718632.PN.&OS=PN/5718632&RS=PN/5718632

I haven't looked at the patent, so I have no idea how applicable it is.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
Very-later-year Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson@Pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Marcus Brigstocke
http://www.marcusbrigstocke.com/pacman.asp

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/au/