Re: Need help packaging OpenTibia Server

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:00:58 +0100 Ivan Vučica wrote:

> Can someone take a look at this summary, and comment if I got it right,
> suggest changes etc?
>
> http://opentibia.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/opentibia/otserv/trunk/debian-packaging-plan.txt

For the people reading without net-access, here are the contents of
that file, incl my comments

> * daemonize
>   - server should fork off right away after startup
>   - server should write its pidfile somewhere in /var to allow detection and
>     killing of running server
>   - server should implement a command line option "-k" which will find
>     server's pid and kill the process
>   - functionality easy to implement using debian's libdaemon (google it up!)

Great, -k is not needed, but wont hurt for sure

> * add init.d
>   - use /etc/init.d/skeleton as basis for an init.d script
>   - use dh_installinit to install the symlinks to the script into proper
>     places in rcX.d

correct too.

> * when installing create 'otserv' user and make init.d script setuid 'otserv'
>   - should be done in preinst script
>   - check out /var/lib/dpkg/info/mysql-server-5.0.preinst
>   - don't forget to remove the user upon uninstallation of the program

setuid wont work on scripts. better use su or start-stop-servers
--chuid or --user ;)
Rest fine.

> * optional: database configuration using debconf
>   - many debian packages (e.g. roundcube) use debconf scripts for prompting
>     user to input configuration data through a gui
>   - using this allows both terminal users and gui users to get configuration
>     ui in their environment-specific "friendly" manner
>   - roundcube mentions db-config, someone should study this -- help and
>     suggestions welcome

correct, but I never used it so cant comment