Re: Upgrading fillets-ng [converting it to Git]

[Please Cc me on replies. Thanks]

-=| Gerfried Fuchs, Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 02:48:30PM +0100 |=-
> * Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> [2009-01-15 14:20:27 CET]:
> >
> > Anyway, I don't want to light up old discussions. What I want to ask
> > you is, if I go and convert the SVN-based packaging to Git
> > (+pristine-tar), keeping all the history, what is the chance that this
> > will be accepted by the group?
>
>  It would make me stop fiddling around with fillets because at least
> with the fillets-data package it's a load that I can't bear on my disk,
> sorry.

I certainly don't want this to happen :)

> And I am not sure what would be the benefit to convert /only/ the
> fillets-ng package but keep the fillets-ng-data package in svn for
> these reasons, or vastly different with respect to not include the
> source and whatsnot.

I guess the overall benefit would be added confusion. And converting
one half would solve only half of my wishes :/

>  The size considerations are the reason for packages like that to keep
> them only with their needed debian/ part in the repository.

I see. Here are some numbers for fillets-ng-data:
 compressed tar.gz: 100M
 uncompressed:      127M
 CVS checkout:      131M  (working dir)
 imported to Git:   228M  (working dir)
 imported to Svn:   288M  (working dir)

debian/ alone is only 60K.

As I understand it, having the compressed orig + the uncompressed tree
temporarily, while preparing the upload of game $X, is acceptable for
you, but having them present all the time is not feasible, due to the
size.

There's not much that can be done about that, so I retract my intent
for converting filets-ng[-data] to Git. Obviously I underestimated the
impact. Sorry for the hassle.

> > Best wishes,
> >     dam
> >     kobodeluxe uploader
>
>  Thanks for that fine piece, btw. :)  And I hope you don't get this as a
> personal or harsh statement, but fiddling around with fillets-ng-data is
> already a pain given its size and I do not want to have to carry around
> an external harddrive just to be able to do the work.

No offense taken. Thank you for pointing me to the problems associated
with my proposal.

I still don't rule out the possibility of upgrading fillets-bg[-data]
myself at some point if noone beats me to it :)