DATADIR conflict between /usr/share/games and /usr/share

Hi,

FreeDink looks has 3 different kind of data:

- /usr/share/games/freedink - engine dependencies, installed by the
  engine package

- /usr/share/games/dink - game data, also used as underlay for
  add-ons, installed separately (but run-time directory lookup depends
  on DATADIR, so the configured DATADIR goes in the source code)

- /usr/share/applications
  /usr/share/pixmaps
  ... - other standard data dirs, installed by the engine package

In the packaging I used --datadir=/usr/share/games so that data are
installed and looked under '/usr/share/games', as suggested.

However I just realized that the .desktop files (and pixmaps, etc.)
are now installed under /usr/share/games/applications/ , which isn't
recognized by Gnome & co.

I cannot hardcode the installation of the game data under
$datadir/games rather than $datadir in the build system, because none
is THE standard and distros may use either one.

What should I do?

Currently I'm inclined to fix a messy standard by a messy method and
just move directories around after 'make install'.

Or I could add a ./configure switch to add './games' in some cases of
file installs, keep a '/usr/share' DATADIR, and have the engine looks
in the 'games' subdirectory unconditionaly.

Thoughts?

--
Sylvain