Re: Newer vegastrike : can we package that big ?

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 01:02:28PM +0200, Gonéri Le Bouder wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 12:36:54PM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 09:56:11AM +0200, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> > >   The problem is, the final tarball weights 500MB, with an installed
> > > size of nearly 1GB, which is twice as big as the biggest package
> > > currently in the archive. The current vegastrike-data weights 310MB
> > > installed-size, 157MB debian package (plus 70MB for vegastrike-music).
> >
> > How about trying several compression programs? I'm sure it will not solve
> > the problem but it could reduce at least the .deb size by maybe 10-20%.
> In the case of urban-terror the gain is not enough important to be a solution,
> 650MB instead of 750MB. So yes, it's a help to reduce the final sice of
> the .deb but I don't think it's a solution.
>
> > Can you post some statistics?
> What sort of statistic do you want?

Compression statistics:
bzip2: ...MB
gzip:  ...MB
7up:   ...MB

> Maybe we can provide an unofficial repository with these packages like
> games.debian.net and add a script in the main package to fetch the -data
> archives.

This would not help people without network connection. Maybe building
the data package from source (calling raytracers to generate images,
...) would allow to rebuild the 500MB package in many hours from a 50MB
package which culd be distributed in Debian?

Jens