From: Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>
Subject: Proposed MBF: Debian upstream version higher than watch file-reported upstream version
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:41:34 -0600

Hello all,

[Please respect the Reply-To header]

In order to bring some more QA on the watch files subject I'd like to start a
permanent MBF on packages whose Debian upstream version (the version string
from Version: without the epoch and the Debian revision) is higher than the
latest upstream version found thanks to their watch file.

Rationale: the watch files are meant to keep track of upstream and if there's
a newer version not being reported by the watch file it means that it needs
to be fixed.

Please note that this situation often occurs when the maintainer didn't make
the watch file strip some +VCSrevNNNNN that was added to the Debian Version.

If nobody objects I'll start filling (in an automated way since there are no
false positives) reports on the 307 source packages which report a Debian
upstream version higher than Upstream version by the watch file.

I'm attaching a list of these packages so I give some time for maintainers to
fix the watch files before this MBF is accepted (!objected) and the automated
MBF script is written.

All the reports will be available at[1].

Any kind of feedback is, as usually, welcomed.

[1]http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=atomo64%40gmail.com;tag=dehs-dver-higher-thanup

Kind regards,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.

[..]

Debian Games Team <pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   conquest
   cultivation
   deutex
   etw
   glest
   warzone2100

----- End forwarded message -----

conquest:
  - fixed in svn on 2007-11-11, not uploaded
  - Has some other improvements in packaging, perhaps 8.3-2 should be
    uploaded?

cultivation:
  - Some kind of snapshot packaged, perhaps that should go to our
    versioning, too?

deutex:
  - I'm confused by that; we have a version 4.4.902, which isn't listed
    on upstreams homepage; and our version number doesn't sound like a
    snapshot?
    Did the upstream homepage moved / got restructured?  Is the
    watch-file still correct?

etw:
  - svn snapshot packaged -> ignore

glest:
  - Broken watchfile, fixed in svn

warzone2100:
  - Upstream seems to have restructured the download area, watchfile
    needs to be fixed

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander