Re: Fwd: Extremadura 2008 Debian Work Meetings

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 08:21:13PM +0900, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Miriam Ruiz <little.miry@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  > Screenshot are derivative work. Most of these game licenses require to
> >  >  publish new version with the same terme. We should be able to reuse them.
> >
> >  Should we ask debian-legal about it? I'm not sure if we could use the
> >  screenshots then.
>
> I would guess that game screenshots would be fair use in many places,
> I wonder about commercial use of those though.

Fair use is also valid commercially, that's how they can put them in a
book without GPL-ing it (assuming some of the games are GPL).

However, this means they're allowed to use the material from the games,
not that we're allowed to copy it from the book (when and how the
screenshot is made may be considered a copyrightable contribution, for
example).

> Asking the few real lawyers on -legal would be good.

Certainly.

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html