Re: Performous packaging for Debian and Ubuntu

2008/11/1 Lasse Kärkkäinen <tronic+nkr4@trn.iki.fi>:
> Hi,

Hi :)

> You have packaged UltraStar-NG 0.1.4 for Debian, so I wondered if you
> would also like to take care of Performous 0.3.0 (as the game is
> nowadays known)? We (Yoda, me and the other developers) are trying to
> make that release in a few days and it would be nice to have it packaged
> for a change (0.2.x was never packaged).

I didn't know the game name change but I'm definitely interested in
it. Thanks for telling me! It's great :)

I'm a bit busy these week, and in general with Lenny release, but as
soon as I have some spare time I'll definitely package it. I'll
definitely try to go for it after next weekend. I'm CC'ing the Debian
Games Team mailing list just in case someone steps in and wants to
help with the packaging.

> There have been major changes to the game since 0.1.4 (more like a
> complete rewrite) and the dependencies have thus also changed radically.
> Everything it needs is still available on plain Ubuntu Hardy, though.
>
> See http://performous.org/develop.html for a (rough) list of build deps.

I'm copying and pasting them here for the mailing list:

Debian (testing/unstable) and Ubuntu:

* sudo apt-get install subversion cmake build-essential help2man
libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libcairo2-dev librsvg2-dev
libasound2-dev libjack-dev libboost-thread-dev
libboost-serialization-dev libboost-program-options-dev
libboost-regex-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libavcodec-dev
libavformat-dev libswscale-dev libmagick++9-dev libsamplerate0-dev
libpulse-dev libxml++2.6-dev

> We have setup the CMake build system to generate deb packages as well,
> but the generator is not quite flexible enough to handle everything.
> Still, it should be a good basis to start from.
>
> Two packages should be made available:
>
> performous
>  * the game itself
>  * replaces ultrastar-ng, ultrastar-ng-gstreamer and ultrastar-ng-xine
>  * installs
>      /usr/bin/performous
>      /usr/share/[games/]performous/*
>      /usr/share/applications/performous.desktop
>      /usr/share/pixmaps/performous.xpm
>      /usr/lib/libda.a
>      /usr/lib/libda/*.so
>
> ultrastar-songs
>  * free songs in the Ultrastar format
>  * also compatible with other games (e.g. Sinatra)
>  * installed into /usr/share/[games/]ultrastar/

That's great, to finally have some free songs in the game format!!! :)

> The libda part is the new audio I/O library that we created for this
> project. It is eventually going to be released separately, but is not
> quite ready for that yet. It does runtime detection of available audio
> libraries (ALSA, JACK, PulseAudio, ...), so compile-time configuration
> (e.g. separate packages for each module) is not needed. We aim to
> separate libda from Performous in 0.4 release.

For the current release I guess it will be better to release them
together then, I guess, and separate it afterwards.

Thanks a lot for the good work, I love the game :)

Greetings,
Miry