Re: Debian Open Rating System

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 21:17, Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org> wrote:

> No, some corner cases cannot be modelled, but it does not try to be a
> replacement for the description of the game, nor for the parents to
> blindly let their children play these games based only on this rating.
> The main purpose is to ease their task, though, and be able to tell an
> indicator of how they might like the game for their kids.

OK, that is a valid design decission. Thanks for clarifying this.

> Depending on the point of view, violent sex might be somehow covered
> by violence+sex, but I wanted to make the explicit difference
> regarding violence not related to sex + not violence sex in comparison
> with violent sex. Your comment makes a lot of sense though.

Well, if a game is tagged as violent & as including sex, that should
cover most games. Maybe you should look at the social things like
humilation, torture or domination. They are a class of their own and
already represented in your system.

Of course, this part of the discussion is highly theoretical. Games
like this aer _very_ unlikely to enter Debian any time soon for a
myriad of reasons, imo.

> Gore is somehow different, it just refers to the visual images. You
> can have a non-violent gore game in which you are a doctor and you
> operate patients, and you can have a violent game with no blood, no
> amputations and no gore stuff.

Hmm, true. I am not sure if people will interpret Gore that way, though.
'Graphic display of blood' and stuff along those lines?

> This is just the lower layer. GoPlay will have templates that classify
> the games more easily, so parents don't need to know all this stuff,
> but they can customize it if they want to, according to their personal
> beliefs and their culture.

Templates are good. Very good.

> I really hoe it will get in main soon. I plan to do a blog entry in
> Planet when it's in. Something like "we finally have love in Debian"
> ;)

:)

Richard