.so when upstream provide only a static .a

Hi,

bullet, pnglite, enet and plib are library that provide only a static lib. Those
upstreams don't want to deal with .so and ABI problem. In some case, we
create a .so in the Debian package. I don't think this is a great
because it makes the package harder to maintain and we have a package
transition to manager after every new upstream release anyway.

The Debian Policy 8.3 says:
In some cases, it is acceptable for a library to be available in static
form only; these cases include:

 * libraries for languages whose shared library support is
   immature or unstable

 * libraries whose interfaces are in flux or under
   development (commonly the case when the library's
   major version number is zero, or where the ABI
   breaks across patchlevels)

 * libraries which are explicitly intended to
   be available only in static form by their
   upstream author(s)

I think we need to reach a consensus, and so I opened a topic on our
glory ToolsDiscuss Flam^W discution page.
 http://wiki.debian.org/Games/ToolsDiscuss

Cheers,

     Gonéri Le Bouder