Re: Replace OpenAL with OpenAL Soft

On Wednesday 23 April 2008 3:11:39 pm Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> Andres Mejia wrote:
> > I've tested warsow, glest, and supertuxkart with the new openal soft
> > libraries and they all build and run on the new libraries without any
> > problems. I really think that OpenAL Soft should be packaged as just
> > "openal". We should upload a package to experimental first and do some
> > more testing.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
>   Sounds good to me. That would definitely warrant an announcement mail
> here, and maybe even on DDA. But this is probably too late for lenny, I
> think (I don't think the release managers will see it too well).
>
>   You should probably have a new source package that is providing the
> current openal ones. That would be less confusing.

What I was thinking was to support the old libraries and the new libraries at
the same time, giving those who want to use one or the other for their
packages a choice. This of course is harder than it sounds.

So yeah, renaming the current openal source package in the archive is a good
idea. It could be named openal-legacy. The binaries shipped by openal however
will need a change. One of the packages (preferably openal-legacy) will have
to rename the library to something else (like openal0a), to avoid naming
conflicts, especially with the development packages. Also, the directory the
header files are installed to will need a different name
(like /usr/include/openal0a).

Andres