Re: rott and grub-invaders packages under team maintainance

Fabian Greffrath wrote:
Hello Hans,

Hans de Goede schrieb:
Talking about rott, when packaging rott for Fedora I've done many bugfixes and spend a lot if time porting over improvements from the winrott windows port to the unix port. Including adding support for (software) rendering at higher resolutions then 320x240, which really is a must for use with modern LCD's.

I think it would be great if these improvements could be added to Debian's package too, the patches live here:
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/rott/

Thank you very much! Of course I'd like to have as much as possible of these patches in Debian, too.

However, there has allready been a code audit for the 1.0-5 release of the rott package in Debian and I guess that we allready ship most of the fixes in our patchset that are also in your repository. We should compare where our patches overlap. In this regard, it would be nice if you could take a short look at our patches and compare them with your work.

Done,

Fedora has all the same fixes (although sometimes done slightly differently), except for the following patches:
04-alt-gr.dpatch
05-big-endian-fix.dpatch
18-fix-drawichar.dpatch
19-playerarrow.dpatch
20-printf-no-long.dpatch
21-no-soundsetup.dpatch

I've applied all these on top of the large load of other patches Fedora carried, resolved any conflicts and merged them all into a rott-1.0-debian.patch, which now is in fedora CVS too:
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/devel/rott/

So if you remove all your patches and replace them by the Fedora ones you get a "highres" renderer and quite a few additional bugfixes. I can understand if you will be reluctant todo this, but trust me I've gone to each and every Debian patch, and those not in the -debian.patch are all fixed (in 9/10 in the exact same way) in the Fedora patches.

Doing it the other way around (Fedora patches on top of Debian ones) did not seem a good idea as the Fedora patches (esp the winrott ones) measure around 1Mb in size.

Regards,

Hans