Re: game-package and handling locally built .debs

On Jan 9, 2008 10:42 AM, Jon Dowland <lists@alcopop.org> wrote:
> My question to the team is really, are there some other nice
> solutions? Could the .desktop file be shipped referencing
> /usr/games/doom and have the menu entry not appear in menus
> unless the target existed? Could we manage
> installing/removing .desktop/menu entries using dpkg
> "hooks"; and only have them present when both an engine
> _and_ a data package were present? How might we overcome the
> disk-space issue in the case outlined above? Exactly how
> undesirable is the fake_doom "hack" outlined in a)?

It sounds better to write a wrapper script that tests for these
conditions and executes doom if all tests were true. Something like.

   [ -x doom ] || xmessage "helpful message"
   # Continue if doom was executable
   doom

This way, a desktop and/or menu entry can use the wrapper script, and
you can avoid having to do some complex stuff with the desktop
entries. For the disk space problem, try df.

By the way, I'm curious to know what the problem is with using root to
run wget and the patching.

Andres Mejia