Re: RFS: warsow (updated packages)

* Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com> [2007-09-07 18:56:48 CEST]:
> On 9/7/07, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote:
> > r4067 | ceros-guest | 2007-09-05 02:48:12 +0200 (Wed, 05 Sep 2007) | 1 line
> > Changed paths:
> >    D /packages/trunk/warsow/debian/README.Debian
> >
> > Checking in new packaging for warsow-0.32
> > #v-
> >
> >  No idea why it was deleted, maybe just on accident.  ceros?
>
> It was deleted on purpose. The Battleye stuff is irrelevant now.
> Upstream has removed support of it and will no longer use Battleye. As
> far as the autotools stuff, that was only found under the "mapping"
> directory. Pretty much every directory that contained stuff already
> found in Debian or that wasn't needed was removed. Since they were all
> removed, there wasn't much to say in a README.Debian.

 Well, if you repack the source you have to document it somewhere, and
README.Debian is the appropriate place for that.

> Also with repacking the source, the reasoning for this is pretty much
> explained with this message at
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-games-devel/2007-July/003982.html

 So why not document that in README.Debian?  Besides, Joerg wrote "as
you are building an own tarball anyway" - with your above mentioned
statement you wouldn't have had to do that /anyway/.  I can see the
reason for the repacking - but pretty please document it.  There's
nothing worse than changing something from how upstream does stuff, and
not letting people know.  It is even worthwhile for just documenting it
for ourselfs, to not forget about it and/or check the list if there got
new stuff pulled in that would need extra mentioning.  Please take a
look at e.g. the copyright file of xorg for a good example.

 So long,
Rhonda