Re: FretsOnFire

On Mon Apr 16 18:51, Jason Spiro wrote:

> Should the package suggest (or maybe even recommend) vorbis-tools?

Yes, certainly suggest.

> Also:  What will the package be named?  I think frets-on-fire is best;

Currently the packaging is done as fretsonfire; the upstream tarball is
named like that and I'm not really a fan of hyphens for that. It
confuses their use when you have fretsonfire, fretsonfire-songs;
fretsonfire-nonfree-songs, etc (which we will have).

> Also, when there are no songs installed and you click "Play Game",
> does the game offer a "Get more songs..." option that will tell you
> about the relevant websites and the Import Songs menu option?  If so,
> who can write one?  I can write the text if you want, but not the
> code.

This will require some amount of code and patching upstream. Currently
we have avoided patching upstream, which I'd like to maintain if
possible. ATM we have a README.Debian which says:

   The Debian version of Frets on Fire has had the tracks replaced with
   free ones. The originals can still be downloaded from
   http://louhi.kempele.fi/~skyostil/uv/fretsonfire/

This should be amended to give the new state of play and instructions on
all the ways of getting songs (upstream, the GH games,
keyboardsonfire.net, writing your own). I think having a clear
README.Debian is sufficient.

Also, while I think about it, have we had the licence for the tutorial
clarified as free? We really should have that in our version.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson