Re: opencity NMU to mentors

scripsit Cyril Brulebois:
[...]
> The Right Thing to do is to contact the maintainers first. And it is not
> like the Games Team were totally unresponsive, especially when it comes
> to handling copyright-related problems (see Miriam's — in particular but
> not only — incredible work bugging upstreams to clarify their license /
> consider relicensing).
>
> > > is to do a non-DD NMU and let the Games Team sponsor it if they
> > > want...  it seemed silly to duplicate the work.
>
> What about letting the team some time to react and fix its package?
[...]

Hey Games Team,

I'm sorry about the confusion here.  Neil's perplexing hostility toward
me seems unfortunately to have set the tone for discussion.  Let me
clarify a few things:

1) I'm not a DD so I can't _really_ do an NMU.  I made an NMU package
for my own personal use, fixing the problems I identified.  I filed
bugs, assigning severity as I understood was appropriate (and I stand by
assigning Serious severity to violating policy MUSTs).  The I uploaded
my package to mentors.debian.net and sent e-mails mentioning that it was
there, and that if they wanted to the Games Team could simply sponsor
the upload -- or do whatever they wanted to with it.  I specifically did
_not_ request to have anyone else sponsor the upload; that would have
been grossly inappropriate and I am displeased to think that anyone
should have thought that was my objective.

2) I could have posted three separate patches to the three bugs I'd
filed -- or I could just upload a package from which the maintainer
could do a quick diff and see what's there.  I thought making a
ready-to-upload package available might ease the workload on the Games
Team -- but only, of course, if the Team accepted it.

Again, I'm sorry about the confusion.  I'm just trying to be helpful :)

--
Thanasis Kinias
Doctoral Candidate, Department of History, and