Re: RFS: steam-powered

"Michael Gilbert" <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> writes:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "steam-powered".
>
> * Package name    : steam-powered
>   Version         : 5
>   Upstream Author : Michael Gilbert
> * URL             : no website
> * License         : gpl
>   Section         : contrib/games

Does the package has an active and resposive upstream?

How do you intend to care for bugreports?

Where do you intend to forward bugs in the games installed by
steam-powered to?

Are you willing and able to do a security audit of the software? As far
as I understand, it downloads more or less random executable binary data
from a commercial vendor (valve), and executes the software. Doesn't
this impose a security risk for the user? How can Debian support this
package security wise?

On what architectures does your package work? only on i386 or on amd64
as well?

> It builds these binary packages:
> counter-strike - Valve's counter-strike video game
> counter-strike-source - Valve's counter-strike-source video game
> day-of-defeat - Valve's day-of-defeat video game
> day-of-defeat-source - Valve's day-of-defeat-source video game
> half-life  - Valve's half-life video game
> half-life2 - Valve's half-life2 video game
> steam-powered - Valve's steam game content delivery system

What are the contents of that binary packages? AFAIU, it downloads the
software from the net, so why provide binary packages here?

TBH, I see a lot of problems for debian with supporting this
package. Unless you can find a supportive DD helping you with the
package, and can satisfactory answer questions like in this email, I
don't see a place for it in Debian.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4