Re: Why quilt instead of dpatch?

Emmet Hikory wrote:
> On 7/6/07, Gonéri Le Bouder <goneri@rulezlan.org> wrote:
>> Quilt has technical advantage and is today already the most present[1]
>> solution in the repository. Since we are a team, I think it's important
>> to have to most commun tool between the different packages.
>
>    Just from curiosity, could you expand on the technical advantages
> of quilt a little?  I agree both that the transition to quilt can be
> confusing, and that we should have one patch system for all 84
> packages maintained by the team: if this is to be quilt, some
> declaration of why it is better might be handy as a reference.

I haven't seen its use until gravityboy (David Nusinow, our main X11 maintainer) showed me how simple and fast quilt is.
The most painful thing with dpatch is making th patches sync to a new upstream release.

dpatch always makes an entire new tree where it copies stuff, quilt uses some hashes and only makes copies for the files
which are changed.

updating the patches to be in sync with a new release is just quilt refresh, while dpatch forces you into creating a
separate copy, then exiting with success.

EddyP