Re: SuperTux 0.3.0 in Debian

"Marek M." <wansti@gmx.de> (21/01/2007):
> Hi Cyril,
Hi Marek,

> I've seen that you put SuperTux 0.3.0 into Debian Experimental. I
> followed the discussion on the mailing list about the license issues
> with some of the data files. We're currently working on resolving
> those issues by replacing problematic files; I suggest you wait with
> accepting 0.3.0 in unstable until this is finished.
Darren Salt notified us, many thanks for your working on it!

> Since 0.3.0 is only a preview release, I also suggest that you don't
> replace SuperTux 0.1.3 with it but rather add it as an additional
> package, so people can choose which version to install. People who
> just want to play the game might be better off sticking to the old
> version for now.
Please find attached my answer to the mail Ingo sent me yesterday.
Having two packages to maintain in parallel in the same distribution
(say: supertux and supertux-snapshot in experimental) isn't that cool.
I'd rather stick to old-known-to-work-fine version in unstable at the
moment, and preview-version in experimental.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois
Ingo Ruhnke <grumbel@gmail.com> (21/01/2007):
> SuperTux 0.3.0 is a unfinished development version, it is meant as a
> preview of the engine, not as a fully playable release of the game. So
> it should not replace SuperTux 0.1.3/Milestone1, the only fully
> playable release of SuperTux, in Debian.

ACK. And as far as I saw by playing it myself, and by getting feedback
on the Debian Games devel list, that is what I understood. ;-)

> Providing the SuperTux 0.3.0 as an alternative package (named
> supertux-0.3, supertux-snapshot or whatever) beside SuperTux 0.1.3
> would however be fine.

At the moment, newer versions are impossible to get pushed into testing
(future stable), and one might use either unstable or experimental to
upload new releases. I opted for an upload to experimental, so that
unstable users can choose the version they want (experimental is not a
version on its one, it is just a place to fetch additional or more
recent packages from).

BTW, you can check the version available for each distribution on my QA
page[1] — or on the pkg-games team's one[2], which is a bit longer to
load. ;-)

 1. http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=cyril.brulebois@enst-bretagne.fr
 2. http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

I guess that we (pkg-games team) won't upload a package to unstable
until you have released a ``stable'' version.

Thanks for your note.

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois