RE: Quake 3 engine and data files

 --- Linas Žvirblis <0x0007@gmail.com> escribió:

> Now that Quake 3 engine is Free, various previously-mods and content
> packages like Open Arena start shipping as stand-alone games. Some of
> them modify the engine, but some do not. Packaging each with a copy of
> the same engine is a Bad Idea (TM), therefore I suggest we do this:
>
>  package    : quake3 (contrib)
>  depends    : ioquake3 (main), quake3-data (contrib)
>  recommends : ioquake3-server (main)
>
>  package    : openarena (main)
>  depends    : ioquake3 (main), openarena-data (main)
>  recommends : ioquake3-server (main)
>
> 'quake3', 'openarena', etc. would ship menu entries, wrapper scripts,
> and would depend on the engine and data files. This would allow us to
> ship various content packages as separate games without packaging the
> same engine multiple times. I do not know if you can feed different
> content packages to 'ioquake3' engine, but that should be easy to implement.
>
> Similar approach could also be used for other games, like Nexuiz and its
> translations (at least one is available). Does anyone see any flaws in
> this logic?

I like that much better than having multiple copies of the engine in every
game, I just wonder if it's doable, as most of those projects might try to
slightly modify the engine to suit their needs.

> P.S. 'openarena' is a package I am working on, and I would like to do it
> inside the Games Team. My username on Alioth is 'linas-guest'.

You've been added to the Alioth's group :) Welcome!!

Miry

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com