Tips for trying out gtkradiant for quake4

Hello,

Now that gtkradiant is on mentors.debian.net I'd like to take
the opportunity to describe what else is needed.
I made two more debian packages, gtkradiant-doc (the manual
website) and gtkradiant-data-q4pack (configuration files) but
because they are not under a clear copyright I refrained from
distributing them. Here's how you can set it up yourself in the meantime
(I only tested this for quake4, I don't own any of the other games)

- Install gtkradiant. I am sure it is designed to be used with many
different games, so therefore there is no Depends: on non-free stuff
and I think it could go into main instead of contrib. Maybe it would
be an idea to create some floors and walls artwork for public domain
use. Gtkradiant has a black-and-blue blocked wall picture saying
"Shader not found" so at least you can see where you drew a wall :-)

- install quake4 in /usr/local/games, i.e. /usr/local/games/quake4
  there's a good description at
http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/quake4/
basically, you'll need to download the 115Mb!! closed-source binary
quake4-linux-1.0.6.x86.run (preferably via bittorrent)
and buy the quake4 DVD (special edition?) for MS-Windows.
Installation will cost approx 3 Gb! so beware that you have enough
disk space on /usr/local. Also installation will only succeed if you
agree to the first displayed E.U.L.A (Quake 4(tm) Limited Use Software License
Agreement).

- check out
https://zerowing.idsoftware.com/svn/radiant.gamepacks/Q4Pack/trunk/tools
(consider NOT checking out the whole radiant.gamepacks, it's several
gigabytes.)
- copy the files to

/usr/share/games/gtkradiant/games/q4.game

/usr/share/games/gtkradiant/q4.game/default_build_menu.xml

/usr/share/games/gtkradiant/q4.game/q4base/default_shaderlist.txt

- edit the /usr/share/games/gtkradiant/games/q4.game file, change
enginepath_linux to "/usr/local/games/quake4/"

- check out
https://zerowing.idsoftware.com/svn/radiant.gamepacks/Q3Rad_Manual/trunk

- copy the files to /usr/share/doc/gtkradiant-doc/

- cd /usr/share/games/gtkradiant
- ln -s /usr/share/doc/gtkradiant-doc/ Q3Rad_Manual

this gives you the manual when you press the Help button -
read it, gtkradiant is not easy to use IMHO!

BUGS
- the build menu is empty; maybe I'll have to do something with
that default_build_menu.xml file
- the two other programs, q3data and q3map2, are extremely cryptic.
From studying the source I'd say q3data is for making your own textures
and q3map2 is for compiling the final map.
- I haven't figured out how to actually *compile* a map successfully,
quake4 complains about not finding a .proc file when I compile.

If you think this e-mail is helpful enough, can somebody put this into a
mini-howto on a website somewhere??
How's this for a copyright:
Copyright Frits Daalmans 2006
I hereby license this e-mail under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
2.5 License. To view a copy of this license, visit
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/ or send a letter to Creative
Commons, 543 Howard Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.