Bits from the DPL (April 2018)

Dear developers…

This is the first "Bits…" from my second term as the DPL. As I mention
elsewhere I feel it is a privilege simply to be a Debian Developer let
alone to be selected as your representative — again, a profound thank
you for placing your trust in me for a second term. :)

Anyway, here's a brief outline of what I've been getting up to as your
Project leader during April 2018:

 * I've been slowly contacting the various core teams that make up
   Debian [0] and enquiring about their current makeup and concerns.

   This month, I had conversations with members of the anti-harrassment
   [1] and Publicity [2] teams and hope to make some announcements
   there next month.

   I also have been in talks with a few developers regarding the
   creation of possible new teams as well as made some initial steps
   towards some NEW queue processing changes.

 * I attended my two Open Source Initiative [3] board meetings on
   behalf of the Project. As part of this appointment I represent our
   interests and use any experience or contacts to help the free
   software community in general.

 * Regrettably, it was another month where significant DPL energy
   needed to be spent addressing and chasing behavioural / anti-
   harrassment issues. Thank you to all those involved and also
   who have provided invaluable support and advice.

 * I have also been in touch with a number of external orgs, companies
   and events who have expressed a desire to partner with us in some
   way. Depending on the situation this might be financially, via
   hardware donations, by providing space for Bug Squashing Parties
   [4], or simply by mutually acknowledging our involvement to a
   greater degree. I plan to share more when I things are more
   concrete.

 * In event planning, I made some personal invitations for people in
   and around Asia to attend DebConf18 [5] as well as added a Code of
   Conduct to the MiniDebConf Hamburg [6] wiki pages.

  [0] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams
  [1] https://wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment
  [2] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Publicity
  [3] https://opensource.org/
  [4] https://wiki.debian.org/BSPPlanning
  [5] https://debconf18.debian.org
  [6] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/de/2018/MiniDebConfHamburg

Finances
========

A fair amount of time was spent on financial issues this month such as:

 * The DebConf18 [7] budget.

 * Status of a now-defunct Trusted Organisation (TO) [8], as well as
   providing advice on which TO to claim reimbursements from.

 * Helped Joey Schulze unpick and follow-up to a non-trivial number of
   complicated, incomplete or ambiguous reimbursement requests,
   including one from 2016 (!).

 * Ensuring the continuity of Debian's LWN [9] subscription.

I also responded to specific funding requests for purchasing YubiKeys
[10] for Debian FTP work [11], a new disk for the hasse [12] armhf
build daemon and new fans for other servers.

  [7] https://debconf18.debian.org
  [8] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Treasurer/Organizations
  [9] https://lwn.net/
 [10] https://www.yubico.com/products/yubikey-hardware/
 [11] https://ftp-master.debian.org/
 [12] https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi?host=hasse

Event reimbursements
====================

In terms of events, I fielded specific requests for:

 * OSCAL 2018 [13] in Tirana, Albania.

 * MiniDebConf Hamburg 2018 [14] (including security team [15] and
   Debian Edu [16] sprints as well as video team [17] hardware
   transport).

 * A Kosovo-based event around Google Summer of Code [18].

 * WeAreDevelopers [19] in Vienna, Austria.

  [13] https://oscal.openlabs.cc/
  [14] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEvents/de/2018/MiniDebConfHamburg
  [15] https://www.debian.org/security/
  [16] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/
  [17] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Videoteam
  [18] https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2018
  [19] https://www.wearedevelopers.com/

Lastly, whilst Debian had previously offered to provide funding for
pizza at the "SpinachCon" [20] user testing event that was part of
LibrePlanet 2018 [21], Deb Nicholson contacted us to let us know that
she was going to cover it herself. Thanks!

  [20] http://www.eximiousproductions.com/2018/03/09/spinachcon-2018/
  [21] https://libreplanet.org/2018/

Bug Squashing Parties
=====================

Don't forget that Debian is willing to reimburse up to 100 USD for
expenses to attend Bug Squashing Parties (BSPs) [22]. If there are no
BSPs near to you, please do consider organising one [23].

Reimbursement requests should meet the following conditions:

 * The requester agrees to communicate about their activities during
   the event such as posting to Planet Debian [24]. The goal here
   being to increase visibility of such efforts.

 * The requester should be a Debian contributor of some description or
   have otherwise demonstrated a commitment to do that kind of work.

  [22] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/Reimbursement
  [23] https://wiki.debian.org/BSPPlanning
  [24] https://planet.debian.org/

Other
=====

In addition to all of the above, I spent time on:

 * Participating in the discussion regarding selling Debian-related
   media on Amazon and how the GDPR [25] may affect the Project, as
   well as dealing with a problematic online community based around
   Debian.

 * Redirecting more support queries and questions sent to the leader@
   alias, particularly ones regarding getting started with contributing
   to Debian, other followups to previous "Bits...", and miscellaneous
   trademark enquiries, etc.

 * As part of Debian's presence on the GNOME Advisory Board I requested
   some clarification on their downstream branding guidelines.

 * I wore my "DPL hat" a handful of times, offering to provide a
   job reference, to be a contact point for an initiative to foster
   adoption of free software in west Africa and by seconding a GitLab
   feature request [26] upon request by a Developer.

  [25] https://www.eugdpr.org/
  [26] https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/42861

Feedback
========

I would like to repeat a request I have made in previous months for any
feedback on my activities as your Project Leader as well as how I could
communicate them more effectively to you. :)

Naturally, any other questions or concerns about the Project that would
be inappropriate or difficult to bring up elsewhere, etc. are always
welcome. Please address these to <leader@debian.org>.

And finally...
==============

In case you missed it:

 * Jonathan Carter ("highvoltage") is publishing a "Package of the Day"
   video series. [27]

 * The "buster" release timetable as well as the codename for Debian 12
   was announced. [28]

 * Debian's Google Summer of Code students were announced. [29]

 * Alioth is going away really soon! [30]

  [27] https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIbuTLE8Wih4pBd8S9UjGDGQQXG4-a6Yw
  [28] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/04/msg00006.html
  [29] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/5166394929315840/?sp-page=3#
  [30] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2018/04/msg00011.html

Phew, see you all next month.  Indeed, I hope to see many of you
in-person as at the Hamburg MiniDebConf…

Best wishes,

- --
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb