Backports & Stretch Release preparations

       Hi!

 As we are getting closer to the stretch release and stretch gets into
deeper freeze every day we (the backports team) are preparing to get
ready for the release, too.

== jessie-backports is policy queue ==

 We turned jessie-backports into a policy queue a few weeks ago, but
haven't properly announced that yet.  Some have stumbled upon it already
and wondered what happened there, so a proper announcement for the
change is needed.

 What does policy queue mean?  Every upload requires manual approval.
This is specificly done to catch backports of package/versions that
aren't in testing and don't have unblock requests neither.
Unfortunately this isn't hypothetical, unblock requests might get
forgotten and people thanked us for the notificiation of that, and
we thank you for receiving the prods in the welcoming way they are
meant. :)

== stretch-backports is *not* ready ==

 While the announce from Niels mentioned that the stretch-backports
suite exists, this is only partly true: In the archive the suites are
there already (including jessie-backports-sloppy), but we can't open
them yet as the buildd environment for them aren't ready.  Also we
probably won't open it before stretch release (at least not long before
it) for practical reasons, given that there are still release-critical
bugs in key packages that might potentially affect the backports
toolchain, too.  And to prod you slightly to help with stretch release,
too. :)

 We though try to get everything in place for the release, but like
said, we aren't there yet, even if we wanted to open in, and are waiting
on the buildd team.  I sent the mail only a few days ago, so don't
pester them for why it's not ready yet, they are also hard working on
the release.

 Enjoy!
Rhonda

----- End forwarded message -----