Final bits from the (outgoing) DPL -- March-April 2017

Dear developers,

First, I'd like to congratulate Chris on his election. I am sure Chris
will be a great DPL and will have full support from our community!

Serving as DPL for the past year has been a real honour and a
fantastic experience for me. It also helped me to have a different
perspective on the project and my future involvement.

Last but not least, I wanted to confirm to other fellow Debian
Developers that serving as DPL is not a traumatic experience and I am
still as sane as I was one year ago :-) If you have ideas on how to
make Debian a better place, project, OS, community, FOSS citizen, …
please nominate yourself for DPL elections next year! Worst case
scenario, you would contribute to the debate about Debian's future.

Take the Open Source Survey
===========================

As a member of the Debian community, you are invited to participate in
a survey about how people use and think about open source
software. Whether you're a long-time maintainer, a new contributor, or
an interested browser, we want to hear from you.

This survey will take 10-15 minutes. All questions are optional. Your
anonymous answers will be released as part of an open data set that is
freely available to researchers and members of the community to better
understand the people who use and create open source technologies. No
personally identifiable information will be solicited, and will remove
any that is provided before publicly releasing the data.

Please take 10-15 minutes to share your perspective by April 28.

        https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3150898/Debian

Thank you for your time and input. If you have any questions or
feedback please email opensource@github.com. For more information or

DebConf17
=========

I have approved DebConf17 budget [1,2] after a few iterations. The
DebConf17 team did a sterling job and I am sure we will have a fun and
productive conference (as always). Kudos to all those who contributed
to the organization of this edition! And I am sure they still accept
new volunteers :-)

[1] https://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20170414.121052.bb458c81.en.html
[2] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debconf-data/dc17.git/tree/budget?h=DC17_budget_approval_1

Registration is open since a few days [3] and, as a reminder, they
also issued a call for proposals [4]. If you want to give a talk at
DebConf17, please submit your ideas!

[3] https://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20170413.164840.77552b67.en.html
[4] https://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20170207.183721.5d9f0d0a.en.html

New Technical Committee member
==============================

As in #836127, the technical committee have recommended, and I have
accepted [5] the nomination of David Bremner <bremner> to the
committee. Congrats David! I am sure your contribution to the team
will be greatly appreciated.

[5] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/04/msg00005.html

DPL's web-space
===============

Thanks to the awesome DSA, DPL has now a web-space [6]. The intent is
not to make yet another webpage (I believe the wiki page is enough)
but to collect files published by DPL (talk slides, agreements, etc…)
over the years in a single location. I invite future DPLs to maintain
this web-space and make it a reference for materials shared by
DPLs. Fow now, it only contains slides [7].

I've documented how to update this web-space in [8].

[6] https://dpl.debian.org
[7] https://dpl.debian.org/talks/
[8] master.debian.org:/srv/leader/dpl.debian.org_HOWTO.txt

Donation
========

Thanks to NVIDIA who donated 2 Jetson TX1 boards (64-bit ARM) for the
reproducible build effort.

Assets
======
- Approved invoice for 2 Debian Outreachy internship sponsorships of
  USD 13 000 from Software Freedom Conservancy in the December 2016
  round.
- Approved purchase of DebConf 2017 stickers (USD 127.46) to give away
  at FOSSASIA'17 conference.
- Approved reimbursement of travel costs (EUR 43.50) for a Debian
  Developer to attend Debian BSP held in Berlin.
- Approved budget of EUR 500 a joint event (Reproducible Builds
  Hackathon and BSP) in Hamburg.
- Approved reimbursement of USD 1536.51 to two Debian contributors who
  have attended and gave a talk at FOSSASIA 2017.
- Approved expense of GBP 63.79 to buy a disk and some fans to replace
  failing hardware in some buildds.
- Approved a travel sponsorship grant of USD 650 to a project
  contributor to attend Ultrahack Finland (https://ultrahack.org/)
  where he was selected as a mentor.
- Approved budget of CAD 200 to organize a BSP in Montreal.
- Approved expense of EUR 120.50 for the Limesurvey hosting expenses
  for running the Debian Contributors Survey 2016.
- Approved budget up to CHF 600 for a Debian Developer to attend and
  give a talk at OSCAL'17.
- Approved budget for Debian Perl sprint, up to 2200 EUR.
- Approved budget of USD 250 for a Debian Developer to attend and give
  a talk at OSCAL.
- Approved budget of USD 100 for a Debian Developer to attend Hamburg
  BSP.
- Approved budget of USD 600 for a Debian Developer to attend and give
  a talk at HKOSCON (https://opensource.hk/).

Day-to-day log
My day-to-day log of DPL activities is available on master.debian.org:
- /srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.txt.201703
- /srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.txt.201704

Mehdi Dogguy