Call for Debian projects and mentors in the Google Summer of Code 2015

Hey everyone,

Do you feel that it's been a long time since Debian participated in a mentoring
program? Well, fear not, this is your lucky day: Google Summer of Code [0] is
starting its 11th edition right now, and the Debian Project will be applying
for a mentoring organization spot again this year, for the tenth time [1].

Our application can only be accepted if we have published a list of project
proposals by the time Google reviews organization applications. Google ends
their review on February 27th, so we need your help!

= What does Google Summer of Code do for Debian? =

Google Summer of Code is a series of student internships, paid in full by
Google, where the student works for a Free Software organization such as Debian
during the summer, and receives a stipend if the project is successful.

We have found that GSoC is a good way to get new (and old) contributors
interested in the parts of Debian that you consider important, and to keep some
of them involved with Debian even after the program ends.

Putting together project proposals for GSoC allows you to showcase your part of
the project, in part for prospective GSoC students, but also for the Debian
community at large.

= How do I propose a project for an intern? =

If you have an idea for a project, please do TWO things:
 - Publish the idea on the wiki page [2], filling out the template
 - Drop us a mail on the coordination mailing-list [3,4]

This two-step process helps us track project ideas and allows us to discuss the
project proposals in detail (scope-wise and length-wise). You need to know (or
remember) that the raw coding phase for GSoC lasts a bit less than three
months, and therefore plan the project accordingly.

If you're a student, and you have an idea for a project, please submit it too!
Everyone (Member of the Debian project or not, student or not) is welcome to
submit their ideas, and to try and find people willing to mentor the projects.

However, the project wiki page is split in two parts: "Project ideas" and
"Projects with confirmed mentors". Please put your project in the right
section, and note that mentors are critical to the success of a GSoC project.
We WILL remove "Projects ideas" without confirmed mentors before the student
application period starts.

Don't panic! mentoring takes time, but not _that_ much time, and all the less
if you find a motivated co-mentor (something we very strongly encourage you to
do). Furthermore, we admins will be here all the way to help you when and if
you need it.

Should you need help about drafting a project proposal, or anything else
related to GSoC, please drop us a mail on the ML [3,4], or drop by on our IRC
channel [5], and we'll see what we can do!

Cheers,
- Nicolas, Sylvestre and Tom, your GSoC'15 admins

[0] https://developers.google.com/open-source/soc/
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2015
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2015/Projects
[3] soc-coordination@lists.alioth.debian.org