bits from the DPL - July 2013

Hi,

Here is my monthly report for July 2013 (+ the beginning of August).
That was a rather slower month, with some travel (for work) and some
vacations.

Outline:
- Survey of new contributors
- ITWire interview
- Logo registration as a trademark
- Delegations
- Debian representatives on the GNOME Advisory Board
- Follow-up: call for help: Debian Auditors
- Assets
- Reminder: sprints!
- Day-to-day log

Survey of new contributors
==========================
As initially mentioned in [1], I surveyed new contributors (people who just had
their first package accepted in Debian). A summary of results is available at
[2]. The raw answers are available to Debian Developers. (just ask me)

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2013/07/msg00010.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2013/08/msg00011.html

ITWire interview
================
I answered an interview for ITWire[1]. A spanish translation[2] is
available, made by Grupo de Software Libre de Cúcuta.

[1] http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/60564-new-debian-leader-seeks-more-innovation-within-project
[2] http://www.camayihi.org/enterate/150-lucas-nussbaum

Logo registration as a trademark
================================
Following previous work on this topic [1,2], our trademark team worked
very hard and forwarded everything needed (or at least we hope so!) to
register the Debian logo as a US trademark to our legal counsel,
Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC).

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2013/04/msg00082.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2013/06/msg00022.html

Delegations
===========
Nicolas Dandrimont <olasd> has been delegated as a GSOC admin[1], as
he became a DD recently. The list of delegations has been updated
on our website[2].

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/08/msg00001.html
[2] http://www.debian.org/intro/organization.en.html

Debian representatives on the GNOME Advisory Board
Sebastian Dröge <slomo> and Michael Biebl <biebl> have agreed to represent
Debian in the GNOME Advisory Board[1].

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/AdvisoryBoard

Follow-up: call for help: Debian Auditors
Two volunteers (Christopher Browne and Brian Gupta) answered the
call for help, and are going to be mentored by our current auditors
(Martin Michlmayr and Martin Wuertele). Thanks!

Assets
======
- Approved shipping of console servers bought last year
 ($80 + 32€ for german customs)
- Approved purchase of remotely-managed PDU (110€)
  and cables for the console server (40€)

Day-to-day log
As usual, my day-to-day log of DPL activities is
available on master:/srv/leader/news/bits-from-the-DPL.txt.201307

Reminder: sprints!
It's possible and easy to organize a sprint for your team.
See https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints for details.

- Lucas