Call for Debian projects and mentors in the Google Summer of Code 2013

Fellow Debian contributors,

As we did in previous years, the Debian Project is applying [0] to become
a mentoring organization during the 2013 edition of the Google Summer of Code
program [1].

For our application to be accepted, we need to have a full list of project proposals
by March 18th (that is, one month from now).

= Why should I care about this GSoC thing? =

GSoC is a good way for you to get new contributors involved with aspects of
Debian that you consider important and to keep them involved with Debian even
after GSoC ends.

Putting together a GSoC proposal helps showcase that part of the project for
prospective GSoC students while also helping gain a bit of visibility in the
Debian community at large.

= OK, so, how can I contribute? =

If you have an idea for a project, please publish it on the wiki at [2], filling
out the template, and send us an email on the coordination mailing-list [3].
Even if you don't intend to become a mentor, please subscribe to the list [4],
as this is where all of the communication and most of the discussion happens
throughout the program.

If you're a student, and you have an idea for a project, please submit it too!
Everyone (Member of the Debian project or not, student or not) is welcome to submit
their ideas, and to try and find people willing to mentor the projects.

Ideas are nice, but mentors are critical to successful projects! Don't be scared,
it doesn't take too much time, and recruiting new contributors for Debian is a
very satisfying experience. :)

If you need help with an idea, in drafting a project proposal, or on anything else
related to GSoC, feel free to contact us by email at [2] or on our IRC channel
#debian-soc (on irc.debian.org).

 - Your GSoC Admins in Debian,
  David Bremner, Nicolas Dandrimont, Sukhbir Singh and Paul Tagliamonte

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2013
[1] https://developers.google.com/open-source/soc/
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2013/Projects
[3] soc-coordination@lists.alioth.debian.org