Bits from the Release Team

In this update:
 - New Blood <TEAM>
 - The Freeze <FREEZE>
 - Relase Goals <GOALS>
 - Documentation <DOCS>
 - Changes in Testing <TESTING>
 - Semi-automated removal from testing <SAUTO-RM>
 - Help wanted/Bug Squashing Parties <HELP-BSP>

This is the first "Bits from the Release Team" of 2012. In the year
ahead, we plan to freeze (and perhaps even release) Debian 7.0
"Wheezy", and we need your help to achieve this. Read on to find out
what we've been up to recently and what to expect in the near future.

New Blood <TEAM>
- ----------------

We have convinced Cyril Brulebois (KiBi) to become a Release
Assistant.  You may get a "Please fix the issue in sid first"-email
from him in reply to your next pu (or opu) request.  :)

The Freeze <FREEZE>
- -------------------

A reminder to everyone that the freeze is due in June.  The exact
freeze date has not yet been selected.  However, if you want your
changes in Wheezy, please be sure to upload them *before* June.

Release Goals <GOALS>
- ---------------------

We are pleased to announce the acceptance of a new release goal,
"security hardening build flags" [GOAL:HARDENING].

Following a suggestion from the PTS maintainers (#647258), the release
goals for Wheezy are now available as a machine-parsable file
[GOALS:YAML].

Documentation <DOCS>
- --------------------

We now have a wiki page describing how to request a transition and
what we expect from the maintainers involved in that transition.  This
can be found at [TRANSITIONS:DOCS].

The list of transitions is now available as a machine-parsable file
[TRANSITIONS:YAML].

Changes in Testing <TESTING>
- ----------------------------

We have added armhf and s390x to testing.  Whilst these architectures
are catching up, armhf and s390 packages may be temporarily out of
sync with other architectures or may even be uninstallable.  For now,
bugs specific to these architectures continue not to be
release-critical.

Since our last bits, we have also completed more than 14 transitions
including GNOME 3, Perl 5.14, Python 2.7, OpenSSL and ICU 4.8.

At the current time there are seven ongoing transitions and several
more planned.

Semi-automated removal from testing <SAUTO-RM>

As promised in the last 'bits', we have looked at semi-automated
removal of packages from testing.  The first list of RC-buggy leaf
packages has already been compiled and will be sent to d-devel@l.d.o
shortly after this email.

Help wanted/Bug Squashing Parties <HELP-BSP>

You are more than welcome to help us.  There are currently a lot of RC
bugs that need to be fixed.  If you do not maintain any RC buggy
packages, please help others fix theirs.  The list at
http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/other/testing is a good place
to start looking for candidate bugs.

Arrangements are underway for several bug squashing parties this year:

 - Proposed: Cambridge, UK (undecided, expected in March)
 - Confirmed: IRILL, France (Feb 17-19th) â?? announced on dda@ now.
 - Proposed: York, UK (undecided, April or May)

For more information on these, please refer to [BSP].

Thanks,
Niels, on behalf of the Release Team.

[GOAL:HARDENING]
http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/SecurityHardeningBuildFlags