Announcing debtags.debian.net

Hello,

"la Befana vien di notte, con le scarpe tutte rotte..."[0]

after two solid weeks of work, I've finally managed to complete the long
due rewrite of the Debtags web interface.

The result is at http://debtags.debian.net/ and the new site should be
able to satisfactorily introduce itself.

At this stage, I managed to reimplement all the previous interactive
resources with at least the same functionality they had before. The old
pages at http://debtags.alioth.debian.org are still there, and redirect
to the corresponding pages in the new site[1], so there is no urgency to
change links or bookmarks anywhere.

Please take a look at the new site and let me know what you think. Here
is a list of interesting starting points:

  http://debtags.debian.net/search/
  A new, fancy, state-of-the-art, Debtags-powered package search
  interface.

  http://debtags.debian.net/search/bytag
  A prototype to browse the archive by tag. It's still rough, but it
  should be quite fun to play with, once you get the hang of how it
  works.

  http://debtags.debian.net/getting-started/
  The entry point for people who want to help with the tagging.

  http://debtags.debian.net/reports/maint/
  The entry point for package maintainers.

  http://debtags.debian.net/statistics/
  Statistics about Debtags.

The biggest impact of the rewrite is however behind the scenes: the site
is now based on standard and reusable components (Django on the server
side, JQuery on the client side), which means it's easier to maintain
and extend, and hopefully for other people to join in the development.

Easier development means that I could easily (finally!) write a
convenient interface to review tag submissions, which makes the review
process faster and easy to learn, which means I can now stand a chance
of recruiting helpers for the review.

The site now has a public API at http://debtags.debian.net/api/, which
sets CORS[2] headers so that it can be accessed from anywhere. More
functions will be documented as soon as their interfaces become stable.

The TODO list for new features for the site is still vast[3], but
the major blocker for development - that is, the unworkable codebase -
has finally been removed!

Ciao,

Enrico

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Befana
[1] The only exception is email-based submission of tag patches, which,
well, has been broken since April 2011 anyway. Instead of reenabling it,
I am replacing it with an HTTP-based submission system, which already
works. A client for it can be found at [4] and I will soon update the
debtags utility to use the HTTP submission system.
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-Origin_Resource_Sharing
[3] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debtags/debtagsd.git;a=blob;f=TODO
[4] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debtags/alioth-scripts.git;a=blob;f=debtags-submit-patch

--