(seasoned) bits from the DPL: comm, derivatives, delegations, money

Hello world,
  here is a report on DPL whereabouts up to July 2010, just before
DebConf. It was meant to be sent before, but DebConf has been so intense
that I sat down writing it only now, apologies for the delay. I'll
separately send a DebConf-related update. As usual, a more
detailed/boring activity log is available at master:/srv/leader/news/ .

Communication
=============

- I've been contacted about editing a Debian-related podcast [1];
  planning of its episodes is now ongoing and some recordings have
  already been done. If you're interested in being interviewed about a
  specific area of Debian, please sign up at [2].

- I've released an interview for the Italian linux magazine called
  "Linux & C". The magazine is a paper magazine, but I've made the
  single interview available at [3] (PDF format, in Italian).

Various other aspects of communication about Debian have been discussed
with the press and publicity team, including the take over of
<http://identi.ca/debian> and the proposal of merging various blog-ish
resources into blog.debian.org. Check debian-publicity archives for more
details.

[1] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/07/debian_podcast_planning/
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/ThisWeekInDebian
[3] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/stuff/LC71_v003_intervista.pdf

Derivatives
  distros have joined the initiative (including gNewSense, which will be
  switching to Debian in the near future).

- The forthcoming openSUSE conference [5] will be on the topic
  "collaboration across borders"; they've asked me for a Debian
  representative. Rhonda has recently been very active and helpful in
  the derivatives from desk, and has kindly agreed to represent Debian
  at the conference. Rhonda has asked for feedback on our collaboration
  activities [6], please get in touch with her to contribute.

- A "Debian derivatives" BoF has been discussed on -derivatives and Matt
  Zimmerman has kindly volunteered to organize it [7] (more about it in
  the forthcoming report about DebConf10).

[4] http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100629
[5] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Conference
[6] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2010/07/msg00135.html
[7] http://penta.debconf.org/dc10_schedule/events/669.en.html

Delegations
===========

As promised, I've started reviewing current delegations with the goal of
having a complete overview of all delegations by the end of my term. To
start with, the delegations I've been given myself consistently have a
wiki.d.o/Teams/SubPage with a link to the delegation text.  As a next
recent step, I've discussed with the current marketing delegates and
they agree with me that their delegation are no longer needed.

  I hereby thank the marketing team for their past work and revoke the
  previous delegations [8] from the marketing team delegates Moritz
  Muehlenhoff and Andreas Schuldei.

  [8] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/04/msg00009.html
and the wonderful spontaneous team which is emerging there.

Money
=====

Here are some brief highlights on how I've been using / promised to use
Debian money in the recent past:

- I've guaranteed to the DebConf team money coverage to fully sponsor
  queue A and queue B attendees. The team was rightfully worried by the
  budget situation of the conference (in spite of the hard work of the
  sponsoring team, this year we have been less lucky than previous
  editions).  In the end, the budget situations is much better than
  expected and probably no extra Debian money will be needed for
  covering travel sponsoring.  Shameless plug: thanks to the orga team
  for the wonderful conference they have managed to organize!

- I've asked to transfer the Debian money which were held in trust by
  Linux-aktivaattori (Finland) to FFIS (Germany). I'd like to thank
  Tapio Lehtonen and Linux-aktivaattori for the work they've done thus
  far holding in trust Debian money.

- I've finalized the "Debian Sponsoring Guidelines" [9] and published
  them at [10].  (The attentive reader might have noticed announces of
  forthcoming team meetings and agendas on some mailing lists already.)

- As the subject has been touched in recent discussions, I'd like to
  reiterate that Debian money can be used to buy hardware for specific
  needs, even if the hardware will be held in trust by individual
  developers.  Good examples are hardware that you need for porting
  work, but you can be creative (as long as you are able to convince me
  that the hardware is really needed).

- I've been contacting (thanks to Sune Vuorela and Michael Prokop)
  people from the KDE e.V. board about their incredibly successful
  sprint program [11].  I'm still fleshing out details (ATM we have
  significantly less resources than them, so we have more constraints),
  but I hope to be able to start something similar next fall. In the
  meantime, start thinking whether your pet Debian team can benefit from
  a sprint!

[9]  http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/07/debian_meeting_sponsoring_guidelines/
[10] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL/SponsoringGuidelines
[11] http://community.kde.org/KDE_e.V./Sprints

Forthcoming events

I'm already aware of the following events that I'll be attending in
September, speaking about Debian:

- OssBarCamp in Dublin, Ireland, September 25th/26th, 2010
- Software Freedom Day, Perugia, Italy, September 18th, 2010

Enjoy your summer/winter (according to your hemisphere) and take the
time to squash some RC bugs, Squeeze is frozen now! \o/

Cheers.