Misc developer news (#16)

The news are collected on http://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews
Please contribute short news about your work/plans/subproject.

In this issue:
 + GCC 4.4 related build failures tracked in the BTS
 + Debian is switching to EGLIBC
 + Debian Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) mailing list
 + New upload queue for European Developers
 + Updates of LXDE

GCC 4.4 related build failures tracked in the BTS

 GCC 4.4 was released on April 21. I compiled the archive with a snapshot
 of GCC 4.4 back in November and reported most issues to the BTS. I just
 compiled the archive again with GCC 4.4 and reported some more issues. In
 total, we had 315 bugs[1] and as of this writing 180 are still open (most
 with patches). Please make sure your package compiles with GCC 4.4.

  -- Martin Michlmayr

 [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=ftbfs-gcc-4.4;users=debian-gcc@lists.debian.org

Debian is switching to EGLIBC
-----------------------------

 I have just uploaded Embedded GLIBC (EGLIBC) into the archive (it is
 currently waiting in the NEW queue), which will soon replace the GNU C
 Library (GLIBC). The EGLIBC is a variant of the GLIBC which stays source
 and binary compatible with the original GLIBC. From the user point of
 view, the package names are unchanged (except the source package and the
 binary package containing the sources) so no transition is needed.

 More details about the motivation for this change is available on:
 http://blog.aurel32.net/?p=47

  -- Aurelien Jarno

Debian Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) mailing list
 Boo, Nemerle or other CLI based/enabled programming languages then you
 are also welcome on this list.

  -- Mirco Bauer

 [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-cli/

New upload queue for European Developers

 we got a request to have an upload queue somewhere in the european area,
 as uploading to the us might be slow and lead to warning mails from the
 queued on ries. So well, here it is:

 ftp.eu.upload.debian.org

 Use it as you use ftp.upload.debian.org, its the same software in the
 background, thus supporting all the commands files too.

 It is also the first IPv6 reachable upload queue.

  -- Jörg Jaspert

Updates of LXDE

 The LXDE(Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) will be updated these days.
 Many exist components have been updated and also introduce new components
 for reduce disk I/O and provide GUI for additional keyboard and mouse
 settings.

  -- Andrew Lee (李健秋)

--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/