Misc developer news (#11)

The news are collected on http://wiki.debian.org/DeveloperNews
It's your duty to share news of your work/plans/subproject.

In this issue:
 + CD/DVD images for Lenny
 + License AGPL v3.0 is suitable for main
 + Building CD/DVD images made easier
 + Mono 2.0 transition in progress
 + SOAP interface to the PTS
 + Tracking GCC 4.4 related build errors
 + Mirror of git repositories on Alioth

CD/DVD images for Lenny
-----------------------

 The debian-cd team is discussing some changes to the CD and DVD images to
 be made available for Lenny, centered around a patch series that makes it
 possible to select from the boot menu which desktop environment to
 install.

 If you're interested, please read the following two mails; the first one
 has links to a few images available for testing the patches and
 demonstrate the new option.
  * http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2008/12/msg00000.html
  * http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2008/12/msg00019.html

 Discussion on the debian-cd list please!

  -- Frans Pop

License AGPL v3.0 is suitable for main
--------------------------------------

 Joerg Jaspert announced that ftp-masters resolved that software licensed
 under GNU AGPL 3.0 public license is suitable for the main Debian
 archive.
 This solves a long standing issues discussed in several bug reports
 (e.g., #495721, #506402).

  * Read more at:
    http://blog.ganneff.de/blog/2008/11/28/ftpmaster-meeting-in-extremadu.html
  * The AGPL 3.0 license is available at:
    http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/agpl-3.0.html
  * Some of the involved bug logs can be read at:
  * http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=495721
  * http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=506402

Building CD/DVD images made easier
----------------------------------

 The debian-cd package, which is used to build the official Debian CD
 images, includes a new script named easy-build.sh. This script is
 intended to significantly simplify building (sets of) custom images. It
 can be used for derived distributions, but is also very suitable for
 ad-hoc builds of images for testing purposes.

 The main feature of the script is that it is very flexible. By passing
 different arguments or by making only minor changes in the settings in
 the script it can be used to build images of different types, for
 different architectures (single and multiple) and Debian releases, using
 alternative default desktop environments, including custom packages or
 custom D-I images and components, etc.

 For further information see the README.easy-build file included with the
 script or mail the debian-cd list.

 Of course you do still need a local mirror...

  -- Frans Pop

Mono 2.0 transition in progress
-------------------------------

 The Debian Mono team is currently transitioning all CLI apps to Mono 2.0.
 We currently have transitioned the whole stack, and are working on
 packages. Libraries will come last, so as to reduce any possible
 breakage.

 For "real-time" (almost) information on our progresses, visit our wiki
 page: http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianMonoGroup/Mono20TransitionTODO

  -- David Paleino

SOAP interface to the PTS
-------------------------

 The PTS now offers a SOAP interface to access the information shown in
 its web pages from third party programs, using the SOAP protocol.
 The interface is currently in alpha version: testing, feedback, and bug
 reports are sought.

  * a preliminary announcement has been posted at
    http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2008/11/PTS_SOAP_interface/
  * general information about the SOAP interface are available at:
    http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/pts/SoapInterface
  * the HTML API reference for the SOAP interface is available at:
    http://people.debian.org/~zack/pts/soap

  -- Stefano Zacchiroli

Tracking GCC 4.4 related build errors
-------------------------------------

 I built the Debian archive with GCC 4.4 to report build errors and filed
 about 220 bugs (the majority with patches). There are roughly 30 build
 failures left that I haven't analyzed yet. There are also about 35
 packages that fail because the boost headers don't work with GCC 4.4.
 I'll try to build them when the boost headers get fixed.

 I used the ftbfs-gcc-4.4 user tag (with debian-gcc@lists.debian.org as
 the user) to track these bugs:
 http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=ftbfs-gcc-4.4;users=debian-gcc@lists.debian.org
 If you run into GCC 4.4 related build failures that I missed, please use
 the same user tag.

 The majority of GCC 4.4 build errors are trivial. The large majority of
 failures is because of missing #include statements, as described at
 http://www.cyrius.com/journal/gcc/gcc-4.4-include

 There are also about 20 build errors because of improved preprocessor
 checks, as described at
 http://www.cyrius.com/journal/gcc/gcc-4.4-preprocessor-errors

  -- Martin Michlmayr

Mirror of git repositories on Alioth
------------------------------------

 If you host a (debian related) public Git repository somewhere else than
 on Alioth, you have the possibility to mirror it on Alioth itself. This
 brings you the gitweb interface and might simplify access to the
 repository to some people since Alioth also offers access through the git
 server.

 The mirror is currently updated every 30 minutes. If you want us to add a
 new repository to the mirror, please contact us at
 admin@alioth.debian.org with the repository URL and its public
 description. The first user of this service is the DSA team with 3
 repositories (dsa-exim[1], dsa-getclamsigs[2], dsa-misc[3]).

  -- Raphael Hertzog

 [1] http://git.debian.org/?p=mirror/dsa-exim.git;a=summary
 [2] http://git.debian.org/?p=mirror/dsa-getclamsigs.git;a=summary
 [3] http://git.debian.org/?p=mirror/dsa-misc.git;a=summary