Announcement: Debian Pure Blends news

Hello,

for those who might wander what the term Debian Pure Blends means: the
Custom Debian Distributions now are called Debian Pure Blends - see below
for further information.

Here comes an update what was done since the beginning of this year
which might be interesting for several projects.

Web-Tools
- ---------

I'm proud to announce a new QA tool for all CDD^W Blends: Overview about
all bugs about Dependencies of our metapackages.  For the impatient here
is a list of these pages:

 Debian Edu:     http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/edu/bugs
 Debian GIS:     http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/gis/bugs
 Debian Jr:      http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/junior/bugs
 Debian Med:     http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/bugs
 Debian Science: http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/bugs

You can read more about the estimation of tasks status of the bugs at
the Blends/BugPages wiki page[1].

Not that new are the so called tasks pages which are listing the packages
in focus of a Blend as well as those projects which are not yet packaged
but might be intersting - so called "prospective packages".  Here are
links to the relevant tasks pages:

 Debian Edu:     http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/edu/tasks
 Debian GIS:     http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/gis/tasks
 Debian Jr:      http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/junior/tasks
 Debian Med:     http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks
 Debian Science: http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks

Both overviews are updated twice a day in a cron job.  The tasks pages
are interesting for users and developers and thus we tried to translate
as much as possible by using the work of the DDTP project (we also
provide links where translations might be needed).

You can expect more tools which deal with sets of packages for
a certain working field in the not so far future.

Renaming Custom Debian Distributions to Debian Pure Blend

We realised that the old name Custom Debian Distributions just sended
the wrong message to outsiders: The conclusion that CDDs are something
else than Debian was to "obvious" if people did not read the relevant
documentation.  So we finally found a raw consensus for a new name:

        Debian Pure Blends

In the code inside Debian we use 'blend' for factorised code that
concerns a single Blend (given as an option or something like that
and 'blends' if it is working for all Blends in one context.  The
Debian and Pure is evidend inside Debian internal code like packages
blends-dev (formerly cdd-dev) or blends-common (formerly cdd-common)
etc.  Configuration for blends will go into /etc/blends (formerly
/etc/cdd.

You can find more information on the according Wiki page[2] or the
detailed paper about Debian Pure Blends[3].

Slides of a talk (in German) I have hold about Debian Pure Blends
at Linux-Info-Tag (Dresden) is available as well[4].

Kind regards

        Andreas.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Blends/BugsPages
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends