Bug Squashing Party -- May 17th - 20th

Hi,

Due to numerous transitions and many new upstream versions we had a big
jump in the number of RC bugs since the Etch release.

Therefor we hereby announce the first post-Etch Bug Squashing Party
(BSP) next weekend, May 17th until May 20th.

First a few necessary words on coordination: #debian-bugs on
irc.debian.org will be the main channel for overall coordination. Do not
hesitate to ask there before tackling any task; there will certainly be
people available that can advise against tackling problematic tasks or
tasks already worked on, and give general advice.

Unlike before the release of Etch there should be plenty of bugs for all
levels of complexity, programming language skill, now. So if you never
attended a BSP before and you want to help, _now_ would be the right
time to start.

We would like to at least solve all the remaining bugs about postrm
scripts which depend on non-essential packages [0]. One of the other
goals for that BSP is to help identify all packages which are effected
by the php4 removal[4].

When working on specific bugs, please claim them for you. This can be
done by using the "bts" command from the command line, 'bts claim
123456'. A list of already claimed bugs can be found at [1].  Tasks that
can not be expressed by a claim but are big enough to warrant a notice
for others should be noted on http://wiki.debian.org/OngoingBSP or pages
linked from there.

The RC Bug Squashing HOWTO [2] by Steve Langasek gives a good
introduction and is probably a must-read for beginners. But don't
hesitate to ask questions in #debian-bugs, we will be happy to get you
to do some work :-)

Sponsoring of uploads should be no problem, the fastest way is probably
to send the complete NMU patch to the BTS, making the full source
package available for download somewhere, and asking for sponsoring on
#debian-bugs.

See also the end of this mail for a list of useful links.

Procedures: During the BSP we should use a 0-Day NMU policy again, that
means uploads that fix RC bugs that are more than a week old can be
uploaded directly. This worked reasonably well during the Etch release
process so we see no reason not to use it again. If you feel unsure
about a patch and/or it the patch is rather invasive, please consider
asking on #debian-bugs for review and/or giving the maintainer some time
to react by uploading to the DELAYED queue [3].

Happy hacking and a nice weekend,

Martin Zobel-Helas and Luk Claes

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=abi@debian.org;tag=postrm-depends-nonessential
[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?usertag=bugsquash@qa.debian.org