New dpkg in experimental

Hi,

there's new a dpkg version in experimental: 1.14.7~newshlib.
It's a snapshot of the dpkg-shlibdeps-buxy branch which contains my work
to enhance dpkg-shlibdeps with symbol-based dependencies.
See http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/ImprovedDpkgShlibdeps for some
background and history.

The work is finished and thus we decided to upload it to experimental to
have some broader testing before releasing it into unstable. The current
plan is the following:
- in a few days, 1.14.7 will be released in unstable _without_ this work
- immediately after the 1.14.7 release, the branch will be merged and
  I'll upload 1.14.8~newshlib to experimental.
- sometimes later 1.14.8 is released and the new dpkg-shlibdeps gets into
  unstable

So please test this version. While rewriting/improving dpkg-shlibdeps I dealt
with all the outstanding bugs and I made it a bit more strict. Most
notably, packages which generate the warning "unable to find dependency
information for shared library" will FTBFS. You'll find a list at the end
of this mail. In most cases, you only need to generate the "shlibs" files
before calling dpkg-shlibdeps and it will fix the problem. In some cases,
this change might lead to self-dependency. If that happens you'll have to
wait until dpkg 1.14.8 comes out after which you'll be able to use the new
"-x<package>" option of dpkg-shlibdeps to strip out the self-dependency (I
already suggested this default behaviour for debhelper's dh_shlibdeps, see
#443973).

The goal of the test period is to make sure that the behaviour of
dpkg-shlibdeps is still correct with plain shlibs file, but given that it
supports "symbols" files, it's time to think of how we're going to add
support of that to our packages. Generating "symbols" files require adding
a call to dpkg-gensymbols (see its manpage in the package) in
debian/rules. It will probably need to be integrated in debhelper
somewhere (see my request at #443978). Feel free to give your opinion by
replying on debian-devel.

Also, once we have all those details sorted out, I'd like help to
make it a release goal for libraries with more than X reverse dependencies
to provide symbols files (X is to be defined of course).

I'd like to thank Guillem Jover and Frank Lichtenheld for their help in
integrating my work in dpkg and Steve Langasek for the numerous advices.

List of packages that FTBFS with the new dpkg:
Guenter Geiger (Debian/GNU) <geiger@debian.org>
   ardour (U)

J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) <jdassen@debian.org>