Google Summer of Code 2007 - mentors and project ideas wanted

[ Please respect the Reply-To and discuss things on debian-project. ]

The Google Summer of Code is running again this year[1]. Last year we
started ten projects with students, and six of them ran to
completion[2], providing us with new useful code. This year, we're
applying again for Debian to be a mentoring organisation. With luck,
we'll get some enthusiastic new developers working for us, paid full
time by Google for the duration of the summer. We will hear in the
next few days whether or not Debian has been accepted; in the
meantime, we need to get working.

Admins
======
Our two current admins are Steve McIntyre <93sam@debian.org> and
Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>; if last year is anything to go
by, we'll probably add more admins later once the programme is up and
running. Admins are responsible for approving mentors and students.

Mentors and ideas
=================
At this point, we have not nominated any specific mentors as part of
our application; we expect to add more mentors shortly as people get
in touch. If you want to be a mentor, add yourself in the wiki and
please also contact Steve and Zack. If you have ideas for projects
that you'd like to oversee, please add them to the list in this year's
wiki page[3]. As a starting list, we've copied in the list of projects
from this time last year already. To be a mentor, you will need to
have a Google account. If you don't have one already, that would be a
useful thing to set up in advance. Once we know the procedure for
signing up mentors, we will pass on the details to those interested.

Discussion
irc.debian.org:#debian-soc if there's anything you need to discuss
with us.

[1] http://code.google.com/soc/
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2006
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2007